Some of the images of my friends and I are based on real photos you know…
For page 31 I needed to illustrate my social life and my initial idea was to have me standing in front of a bunch of people loosely based on my friends (good idea). But then I thought to actually have portraits of a smattering of my real friends from college (bad idea). And then I thought that instead of just portraits, they should be moments captured from particularly fond memories (kill me).
The result was a bout of OCD that I have not experienced since it was time to clean the bath tub. It kills me that I forgot I was wearing black gloves in the portrait of Liz and I. But ultimately it was worth it if I can bring a smile to these completely awesome people. Some of whom have websites! So without further adieu.
My shout outs!
1) Saki Rizwana: is a graphic designer/teacher that does everything from book binding to animation. Also? She will have the last word in any argument, no matter how playful.
2) Joshua: Is currently waiting for me to do a commission that I keep forgetting about O_o
3) Tyler: is one of my cousins, but not by blood. I introduce myself to him as though we’re just meeting every time I see him.
4) Wendy Chan: is another excellent designer, currently making a name for herself in NYC. I once made the mistake of repeating her name over and over, inspiring her to do the same with me but better. For two years.
5) Yohei: is my brother from another mother who I will be staying with when I visit Japan. For 4 years.
6) Vixon A. John: has been working in video production, editing, writing, and journalism since I met him in college. Also he has not aged in the face since 2007.
7) Dana Glover: is an artist/illustrator who I’ve been trying to convince to do comics for a week now. Dark humor, pop culture, and fantasy!
8) Alex Piemer: has a statue of him in Minsk.
9) Liz Travis: is a foodie and has a fantastic “food porn” blog where she updates us with her latest culinary adventures. Do not read on an empty stomach!